Big-race trends: no getting away from Group 1 class in Champion Stakes
Qipco British Champions Long Distance Cup
Upgraded from Group 3 to Group 2 in 2014
- Top-two finish in last two starts, ten winners in last ten runnings
- Won over at least 1m6f, 10/10
- Rated within 6lb of RPR top-rated, 8/10 (four were top-rated)
- Adjusted Racing Post Rating of at least 120, 8/10
- Aged four or five, 7/10
Two winners had yet to score in Group company, but since the race moved to Ascot in 2011 (previously the Jockey Club Cup at Newmarket) six winners had already been successful at Group 1 level.
Six of the last ten winners were trained in Ireland.
Qipco British Champions Sprint
Upgraded from Group 2 to Group 1 in 2015
- No older than six, 10/10
- Distance winner, 9/10
- Top-three finish last time, 9/10
- Ran at Royal Ascot, 9/10
- Adjusted RPR of at least 129, 8/10
- Rated within 9lb of RPR top-rated, 8/10
- Listed or Group winner, 8/10
- No more than seven runs that season, 7/10
Of those who had run at Royal Ascot earlier in the year, four ran in the Diamond Jubilee (7884), two in the Commonwealth Cup (12), two in the Wokingham (16) and one in the Buckingham Palace (0).
Five winners had contested the Haydock Sprint Cup, finishing 22252.
Qipco British Champions Fillies & Mares Stakes
Group 1 since 2013
- Run in a Group 1 or Group 2, 10/10
- Adjusted RPR of at least 120, 9/10
- Group-race winner, 9/10 (exception had won in Listed company)
- Top-two finish in Listed or Group company on last completed start, 8/10 (exceptions unplaced in a Group 1)
- Won at least twice that season, 8/10
- Distance winner, 6/10
Nine winners had won going right-handed.
Seven winners were three-year-olds.
Queen Elizabeth II Stakes
- Top-three finish last time out, 10/10
- Rated within 7lb of RPR top-rated, 8/10 (six were top-rated)
- Adjusted RPR of at least 131, 8/10
- Won in last three starts, 8/10
- Ran no more than five times that season, 8/10
- Group 1 winner, 7/10
Four of the six three-year-old winners ran in the 2,000 Guineas, finishing 1552, and another won the 1,000 Guineas.
Two of the three older winners ran at Royal Ascot, finishing 21.
The record of fillies and mares in the last ten years is 33741145284058.
Qipco Champion Stakes
- Had contested a Group 1, 10/10 (seven won)
- Rated within 6lb of RPR top-rated, 10/10
- Adjusted RPR of at least 131, 9/10
- Top-two finish last time out, 9/10 (exception fifth in the Arc)
- Distance winner, 9/10
- Had run no more than six times that season, 8/10
Two winners had run at the Arc meeting.
The four winners who had been beaten last time out all contested Group 1s.
Four winners had previously won at the track.
- Aged four or five, 7/7
- Rated within 4lb of RPR top-rated, 6/7
- Drawn ten or lower, 6/7
- Officially rated 101-105, 6/7
- Distance winner, 6/7
- Won or placed in a field of at least 18 runners, 6/7
- Won earlier in the season, 6/7
- Had previously run in Listed or Group company, 6/7
Three winners had recorded their highest RPR within the last 12 months last time out.
Three winners had been placed in a big-field handicap at the track.
For all our exclusive free bet offers and must-have daily promotions click the free bets button or go to racingpost.com/freebets