Richard Hughes: will start new career in 2016PICTURE: Getty Images
Richard Hughes: this will be my final season
REIGNING champion jockey Richard Hughes has begun what will be his final year in the saddle after revealing his plan to retire at the end of the new season.
Richard Hannon's stable jockey, who took the first of his three consecutive British Flat championships in 2012, will embark on a training career next year after completing his last campaign as one of the sport's highest-profile riders.
The 42-year-old, regarded by many as the sport's supreme stylist, was on Wednesday taking part in a BHA trainers' course in Newmarket, where he will return in May for a Guineas weekend in which he will hope to boost his Classic haul on last year's star juveniles Ivawood and Tiggy Wiggy.
Speaking to the Racing Post, Hughes said: "I feel physically like I could ride for another five years. My weight is fine and my hunger is as strong as ever. I still have a huge desire to ride as many winners as I can but I know I can't ride forever. However, I know I can train nearly forever and I want my children to grow up in a training yard in the same way I did."
Hughes will be based at Ken Cunningham-Brown's yard in Stockton, Hampshire.
Richard Hannon said on his website: "Hughesie will be going all out to ride as many winners for this season, but he is very excited about his new venture and we wish him all the best.
"We look forward to being rivals on the track next year and also at the bloodstock sales in the autumn."
Read the full story in Thursday's Racing Post - available on iPad from 8pm