How Win and Place bets work and a guide to placing them
What are Tote Win/Place bets?
- The Tote Win and Place are our most straightforward bets. With a Tote Win bet, you pick a horse to win an individual race. With our Place pools, your horse just needs to place for you to see a return.
- Quite often, our customers will place half their stake on a Win bet and half on the Place pool to have an 'each-way' bet.
- You can place a Win bet on any race with two or more runners, but a Place bet requires at least five, unless otherwise stated.
Winning a Tote Win/Place bet
To win a Tote Win bet, your horse just has to finish first. Winning a Tote Place bet depends on how many runners there are in a race:
- If there are between five and seven runners, your horse must finish first or second
- If there are between eight and 15 runners, your horse must finish first, second or third
- If the race is not a handicap and has 16 or more runners, your horse must finish first, second or third
- If the race is a handicap and has 16 or more runners, your horse must finish first, second, third or fourth
How to place a Tote Win/Place bet online
Placing a Win/Place bet is really simple. Just head to the homepage and click on the race time that you'd like to bet on.
Once you've clicked on the race, you'll be taken to the card where you'll be able to view all of the runners and riders. Click on the Tote Win icon next to the horse you want to bet on to add to your betslip. You'll get a notification once your selection has been added.
Click on your betslip and you'll see your selection added to the bet slip. To bet on your selection to win, just add your stake to the Tote Win bet field and click Place Bet.
To have an each-way bet, click on the EW icon. This will add a bet of the same value to your slip on the Tote Place market.
If you'd just like to bet on your horse to place, make sure each-way is de-selected and enter your stake into the Tote Place field.
How to place a Win/Place bet on course
Once you've decided which horse to bet on, just head to one of our kiosks.
Tell one of our staff either the name of the horse or their racecard number, how much you want to bet on the horse.
Make sure you tell our staff if you want to back the horse to win or each-way and always check your bet slip before you leave the counter.
Calculating your potential winnings on Tote Win bets
You can get an idea of how much your selection will pay from the current dividend guide. This number is what the pool would payout at the time of placing the bet. This is just a guide, however, and the guide price can change.
If your horse wins, the returns are calculated by dividing the pool after Tote's deductions by the number of winning units – £1 is equal to one unit and you'll be paid out in proportion to your stake.
The good news is that with the new Tote Guarantee, we'll never pay out less than SP. If the pool pays more, you'll always get the bigger price.