down cross right results icon premium content video audio lifeNews icon-comment tick starFilled betSlip hot icon-liveCommentary refresh spinner
coral logo ladbrokes logo betway logo williamHill logo bet365 logo paddypower logo 888sport logo
TODAY'S OFFERS
TODAY'S BOOKMAKER OFFERS
Exclusive to new customers
  • View offer
    Bet £5 get £20 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with Ladbrokes using promo code 20FREE and place £5 of bets, you'll get £20 in free bets. 18+ New UK+Ire customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1-2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Up to £100 in Bet Credits
    Claim here
    Min deposit £5 and 1x settled bet requirement to release Bet Credits. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open a betting account with Coral through our site and when you place your first bet on horse racing (£10 or more) they'll give you 3 x £10 free bets. 18+. UK+IRE New Customers Only. First bet at least £10 or £10 each-way, at fractional odds totalling 1/2 or greater. Free Bets credited as 3 x £10. Free bet valid for 4 days. Free bet will not be included in any winnings. T&Cs Apply
  • View offer
    Up to £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Join betway, opt in, deposit £10 or more and you will get a 100% matched amount, up to £30 as free bets to split however you like. T&Cs apply. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock free bet. Deposit by card or paypal only.
  • View offer
    £20 Risk free first bet
    Claim here
    Open an account with Paddy Power and place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses they will refund your stake in cash, max refund for this offer is £20. Limited to one per person. If you've previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer. Only deposits using Cards or Paypal will qualify. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with William Hill using promo code C30, bet £10 and get £30 in free bets. Min £10 stake, win only, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 3 x £10, 30 day expiry, free bet/payment method/player/country restrictions apply. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £40 in free bets
    Claim here
    Join 888sport using promo code RACING and when you bet £10, you'll get £30 in free bets PLUS £10 in free bets on any horse racing market. Min deposit £10. First bet minimum odds 1-2. Free bet credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expires after 7 days. Free bet stakes not included in returns. Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £40 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open a betting account with Coral through our site and when you place your first bet on horse racing (£10 or more) they'll give you 4 x £10 free bets. 18+. UK+IRE New Customers Only. First bet at least £10 or £10 each-way, at fractional odds totalling 1/2 or greater. Free Bets credited as 4 x £10. Free bet valid for 4 days. Free bet will not be included in any winnings. T&Cs Apply
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £40 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with Ladbrokes using promo code RP40 and place £10 in bets and you'll get £40 in free bets. 18+ New UK+Ire customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £10 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1-2 = 4 x £10 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with William Hill using promo code C30, bet £10 and get £30 in free bets. Min £10 stake, win only, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 3 x £10, 30 day expiry, free bet/payment method/player/country restrictions apply. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    £50 Risk free first bet
    Claim here
    Open an account with Paddy Power and place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses they will refund your stake in cash, max refund for this offer is £50. Limited to one per person. If you've previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer. Only deposits using Cards or Paypal will qualify. T&Cs apply

Referee could keep his cool when Man United host Newcastle

Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa knows his stats

Newcastle's Jamaal Lascelles and Ciaran Clark
1 of 1

Bet365 may have underestimated the chance of a low card count in the televised Premier League game between Manchester United and Newcastle. Back under 3.5 Asian total cards at decimal odds of 1.925 – equivalent to fractional odds of 37-40.

Each yellow will count as one and each red as two. So the bet will win if there are no reds and no more than three yellows, or one red and no more than one yellow. Anything else and the bet will lose.

There is clearly potential for this bet to go embarrassingly wrong.

Manchester United have been on a bad run of results. If it continues against Newcastle tempers could fray. When things are not going your way there is an even greater need than usual to stay calm, but players are as human as the rest of us and sometimes they express their frustration.

The longer the score looks good to Newcastle – level or better – the more desperately they will want to defend it. Also, managers Jose Mourinho and Rafa Benitez have not always seemed like best friends.

Even so, the chance of a low make-up may be better than bet365 acknowledge.

The number of cards likely to be shown in a match is related to the likely difference in ability between the teams. The smaller the anticipated difference in ability, generally speaking, the smaller the chance of a low card count.

Odds in the result-related markets reflect the fact that Manchester United have been going through a bad patch. In that market the teams are a bit closer together than they would usually be.

Odds in the home-draw-away market imply roughly a 66 per cent chance of a Manchester United win, a 22 per cent chance of a draw and a 12 per cent chance of a Newcastle win.

In previous seasons in Premier League games with similar goals expectations the chance of an Asian total cards make-up below 3.5 was typically about 58 per cent. Decimal odds of 1.925 imply a 52 per cent chance of a bet being successful.

Manchester United have seen yellow and red slightly more regularly than usual for a team with their results, but for Newcastle it has been the other way round.

Referee Anthony Taylor is a good and experienced official. Over ten seasons in the Premier League he has issued cards slightly more often than an average colleague: equivalent to about one more yellow every five games. There must have been some sort of borderline decisions that he thought just deserved a card which some of his colleagues thought marginally did not.

Even allowing for this, however, it seems possible that odds for under 3.5 Asian total cards at Old Trafford should not be as big as 1.925.

Recommendation
Under 3.5 Asian total cards Manchester United v Newcastle
1pt 1.925 bet365

Thought for the day

Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa is renowned for poring over videos. He also knows his stats.

After Leeds drew 1-1 at Sheffield Wednesday last Friday, Bielsa said: “I am truly disappointed… The fact that we needed 25 chances to score talks about what we deserved. Usually we need three chances to score one goal and this statistic is common to teams that lead their competition.”

Bielsa spoke of chances and I am sure he meant chances even though the 25 he mentioned was Leeds’s total shots.

Every shot is in one sense a chance to score. But what Bielsa was referring to, I believe, was something closer to what others call clear-cut chances or big chances. And his stat (one in three scored by competition leaders) shows that most are missed even by good teams – though not usually as many as he thinks Leeds missed at Hillsborough.

And not all goals come from good chances either. Many are scored from less promising positions. Former England manager Graham Taylor said: “A lot of goals are what you might consider ‘ugly’ but they all count the same.”

So how many attempts of any description does it take to score a goal? As a rule of thumb: ten. The number is the same now as it was in the 1950s when Charles Reep started counting shots and lots of other things.

Good teams, though, score more regularly and bad teams less regularly. Good teams have better attackers facing worse defenders and goalkeepers. Bad teams have worse attackers facing better defenders and goalkeepers.

In the Premier League in the six seasons 2012-13 to 2017-18 the champions scored once every seven shots while teams that finished bottom scored once every 14 shots. Until Saturday's games kick off Leeds will be top of the Championship.

Excluding the game against Sheffield Wednesday they have averaged one goal every seven shots.


Read Racing Post Sport every day for no-nonsense previews and expert sports betting tips


Sign up to emails from Racing Post Sport and get all the latest news and tips


Today's top sports betting stories

Follow us on Twitter @racingpostsport

In the Premier League in the six seasons 2012-13 to 2017-18 the champions scored once every seven shots
Bookmaker
Price
E.W. Terms
Sporting
BetVictor
Sky bet
Boylesport
RaceBets