down cross right results icon premium content video audio lifeNews icon-comment tick starFilled betSlip hot icon-liveCommentary refresh spinner
coral logo ladbrokes logo betway logo williamHill logo bet365 logo paddypower logo 888sport logo
TODAY'S OFFERS
TODAY'S BOOKMAKER OFFERS
Exclusive to new customers
  • View offer
    Up to £100 in Bet Credits
    Claim here
    Up to £100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365. Min deposit £5. Bet Credits available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Up to £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Join betway, opt in, deposit £10 or more and you will get a 100% matched amount, up to £30 as free bets to split however you like. T&Cs apply. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock free bet. Deposit by card or paypal only.
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open a betting account with Coral through our site and when you place your first bet on horse racing (£10 or more) they'll give you 3 x £10 free bets. 18+. UK+IRE New Customers Only. First bet at least £10 or £10 each-way, at fractional odds totalling 1/2 or greater. Free Bets credited as 3 x £10. Free bet valid for 4 days. Free bet will not be included in any winnings. T&Cs Apply
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with William Hill using promo code C30, bet £10 and get £30 in free bets. Min £10 stake, win only, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 3 x £10, 30 day expiry, free bet/payment method/player/country restrictions apply. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    £20 Risk free first bet
    Claim here
    Open an account with Paddy Power and place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses they will refund your stake in cash, max refund for this offer is £20. Limited to one per person. If you've previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer. Only deposits using Cards or Paypal will qualify. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    Bet £5 get £20 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with Ladbrokes using promo code 20FREE and place £5 of bets, you'll get £20 in free bets. 18+ New UK+Ire customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1-2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £40 in free bets
    Claim here
    Join 888sport using promo code RACING and when you bet £10, you'll get £30 in free bets PLUS £10 in free bets on any horse racing market. Min deposit £10. First bet minimum odds 1-2. Free bet credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expires after 7 days. Free bet stakes not included in returns. Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £40 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open a betting account with Coral through our site and when you place your first bet on horse racing (£10 or more) they'll give you 4 x £10 free bets. 18+. UK+IRE New Customers Only. First bet at least £10 or £10 each-way, at fractional odds totalling 1/2 or greater. Free Bets credited as 4 x £10. Free bet valid for 4 days. Free bet will not be included in any winnings. T&Cs Apply
  • View offer
    Up to £100 in Bet Credits
    Claim here
    Up to £100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365. Min deposit £5. Bet Credits available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with William Hill using promo code C30, bet £10 and get £30 in free bets. Min £10 stake, win only, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 3 x £10, 30 day expiry, free bet/payment method/player/country restrictions apply. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    £50 Risk free first bet
    Claim here
    Open an account with Paddy Power and place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses they will refund your stake in cash, max refund for this offer is £50. Limited to one per person. If you've previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer. Only deposits using Cards or Paypal will qualify. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £40 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with Ladbrokes using promo code RP40 and place £10 in bets and you'll get £40 in free bets. 18+ New UK+Ire customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £10 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1-2 = 4 x £10 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.

No reason to think Fulham won't get more cards than Palace

Roy Hodgson will keep his boys in check

Fulham starlet Ryan Sessegnon
1 of 1

Back Fulham to receive at least as many cards as Crystal Palace in the Premier League game at Craven Cottage.

Promoted Fulham are a good, well-behaved team. Crystal Palace are a good, well-behaved team. They are coached by Roy Hodgson so it would be astonishing if they were anything else.

Hodgson reached the Europa League final in 2010 at the end of two- and-a-half seasons as manager of Fulham.

The reason for thinking that backing Fulham to receive as many or more cards than Palace might represent value for money is that in other games with similar general characteristics the bet has won a little more often than the odds seem to acknowledge.

Back Fulham +0.5 at 9-10 in bet365’s Asian handicap cards market. Each yellow will count as one point and each red as two. If Fulham’s total is equal to or greater than Palace’s the bet will win. Otherwise it will lose.

Former elite referee Pierluigi Collina said that most fouls are accidentally mistimed challenges, not intentional. It follows that most cards are the unfortunate consequence of mishaps occurring during a game.

So what sort of game should we anticipate at Craven Cottage, and what is the likely implication for cards?

Fulham were unfortunate last season not to get automatic promotion with 88 points but they won the playoffs and have strengthened during the summer. Palace finished 11th in the Premier League last season and probably deserved even better.

The Cottagers have home advantage but it is in a London derby, where home advantage tends to count for a bit less than usual. The result-related markets imply a 39 per cent chance of a Fulham win, a 28 per cent chance of a draw and a 33 per cent chance of a Palace win. Those numbers seem in the right place to me.

In recent seasons in Premier League games with similar expectations the chance of the home team receiving at least as many cards as the away team was about 57 per cent. Odds of 9-10 imply a 53 per cent chance of the bet winning.

Comparing results with cards for and against in the Sky Bet Championship shows Fulham were better behaved than most teams of a similar standard, but not by a bigger margin than Palace were in the Premier League.

The referee at Craven Cottage will be the experienced Mike Dean.

Recommendation
Fulham +0.5 Asian handicap cards
1pt 9-10 bet365


Thought for the Day

Stan Kroenke is buying the Arsenal shares he did not own already. He says his “ambitions for the club are to see it competing consistently to win the Premier League and the Champions League”.

That has not happened in the seven seasons since Kroenke became majority shareholder and could do what he wanted, and it will not happen in the future unless Arsenal can and do spend more on players.

The market in footballers is fairly efficient so there is generally a relationship between payrolls and performances. My analysis suggests that over the last seven seasons Arsenal paid for a team that should have averaged 72 points and they got a team that averaged 72 points.

The lowest total for Premier League winners during that time was 81 and the average was 89. So Arsenal could not reasonably have expected to compete consistently for the Premier League, never mind the Champions League.

Will new manager Unai Emery be able to organise an over-achievement? At Valencia, Sevilla and Paris Saint-Germain he delivered exactly what the owners had paid for – no less but no more.

Sporting Index’s spread for Arsenal points this season is 70.5-72 – effectively what I think the club is entitled to ask of Emery.


Heading in the wrong direction

Dr Bennet Omalu, an expert on brain injuries, has called for heading to be banned for footballers agead under 18 and limited for professionals.

He said: “It does not make sense to control an object travelling at a high velocity with your head.” Perfectly put.

If heading were banned for children it would soon become unnecessary in professional football. Within a few years players would turn professional who had learned ways of playing effectively without heading.


Read Racing Post Sport every day for no-nonsense previews and expert sports betting tips


Sign up to emails from Racing Post Sport and get all the latest news and tips 


Today's top sports betting stories

Follow us on Twitter @racingpostsport

Like us on Facebook RacingPostSport

Arsenal could not reasonably have expected to compete consistently for the Premier League, never mind the Champions League
Bookmaker
Price
E.W. Terms
Sporting
BetVictor
Sky bet
Boylesport
RaceBets