down cross right results icon premium content video audio lifeNews icon-comment tick starFilled betSlip hot icon-liveCommentary refresh spinner
coral logo ladbrokes logo betway logo williamHill logo bet365 logo paddypower logo 888sport logo
TODAY'S OFFERS
TODAY'S BOOKMAKER OFFERS
Exclusive to new customers
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with William Hill using promo code C30, bet £10 and get £30 in free bets. Min £10 stake, win only, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 3 x £10, 30 day expiry, free bet/payment method/player/country restrictions apply. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    Up to £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Join betway, opt in, deposit £10 or more and you will get a 100% matched amount, up to £30 as free bets to split however you like. T&Cs apply. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock free bet. Deposit by card or paypal only.
  • View offer
    Bet £5 get £20 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with Ladbrokes using promo code 20FREE and place £5 of bets, you'll get £20 in free bets. 18+ New UK+Ire customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1-2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    £20 Risk free first bet
    Claim here
    Open an account with Paddy Power and place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses they will refund your stake in cash, max refund for this offer is £20. Limited to one per person. If you've previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer. Only deposits using Cards or Paypal will qualify. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    Up to £100 in Bet Credits
    Claim here
    Up to £100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365. Min deposit £5. Bet Credits available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open a betting account with Coral through our site and when you place your first bet on horse racing (£10 or more) they'll give you 3 x £10 free bets. 18+. UK+IRE New Customers Only. First bet at least £10 or £10 each-way, at fractional odds totalling 1/2 or greater. Free Bets credited as 3 x £10. Free bet valid for 4 days. Free bet will not be included in any winnings. T&Cs Apply
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £40 in free bets
    Claim here
    Join 888sport using promo code RACING and when you bet £10, you'll get £30 in free bets PLUS £10 in free bets on any horse racing market. Min deposit £10. First bet minimum odds 1-2. Free bet credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expires after 7 days. Free bet stakes not included in returns. Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    £50 Risk free first bet
    Claim here
    Open an account with Paddy Power and place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses they will refund your stake in cash, max refund for this offer is £50. Limited to one per person. If you've previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer. Only deposits using Cards or Paypal will qualify. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £40 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with Ladbrokes using promo code RP40 and place £10 in bets and you'll get £40 in free bets. 18+ New UK+Ire customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £10 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1-2 = 4 x £10 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Up to £100 in Bet Credits
    Claim here
    Up to £100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365. Min deposit £5. Bet Credits available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £30 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open an account with William Hill using promo code C30, bet £10 and get £30 in free bets. Min £10 stake, win only, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 3 x £10, 30 day expiry, free bet/payment method/player/country restrictions apply. T&Cs apply
  • View offer
    Bet £10 get £40 in free bets
    Claim here
    Open a betting account with Coral through our site and when you place your first bet on horse racing (£10 or more) they'll give you 4 x £10 free bets. 18+. UK+IRE New Customers Only. First bet at least £10 or £10 each-way, at fractional odds totalling 1/2 or greater. Free Bets credited as 4 x £10. Free bet valid for 4 days. Free bet will not be included in any winnings. T&Cs Apply

Little to suggest Southampton will receive most bookings

West Brom feel the same league-table pressure

Michael oliver shows West Brom's Jake Livermore a yellow card
1 of 1

Back West Brom to receive at least as many cards as Southampton in the Premier League game at the Hawthorns.

In bet365’s Asian handicap cards market back Alan Pardew's side +0.5 at decimal odds of 1.95 – equivalent to fractional odds of 19-20.

Each yellow will count as one and each red as two. The bet will win if Albion’s total is equal to or greater than Southampton’s.

Three points separate 18th place Southampton from 20th-place West Brom. Arguably both have deserved better results than they have got – that is usually true of teams in the relegation zone – but probably by a similar margin.

Premier League standings

So there is no obvious reason to think there is much difference in ability between the teams. West Brom, of course, will benefit from ground advantage.

Odds in the result-related markets seem at least in the right ballpark. Stripped of their overrounds they imply a 37 per cent chance of a home win, a 31 per cent chance of a draw and a 32 per cent chance of a Southampton win.

In games with similar home/draw/away expectations, generally speaking, the chance of the home team receiving as many or more cards than the away team is higher than the 51 per cent implied by decimal odds of 1.95.

Neither West Brom nor Southampton have received more cards this season than we should have anticipated from the games they have won, drawn and lost.

Cards for all practical purposes are an occasional consequence of defending. The longer a team spend without the ball the more likely they become to mis-time challenges when trying to get it back, and the more likely they become to accumulate cards.

Southampton received most cards in their last four away games, but three of those were at Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham – elite opponents against whom Southampton, like almost everyone else in the Premier League, will usually spend most of the time defending.

As both teams are below the relegation line the game is as important to each of them. A win would mean as much to West Brom as it would to Southampton. A defeat would be as disappointing for the Saints as it would for Albion.

So if there is any extra pressure caused by the league table it should be the same for both teams. The referee will be Michael Oliver, one of the Premier League’s best.

Recommendation
West Brom +0.5 Asian handicap cards
1pt 1.95 bet365

Bet on this match at Soccerbase.com

 

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Premier League clubs spent a record £430 million on transfer fees in the January window, according to accountants Deloitte. Transfer records are broken regularly because of inflation, which is more virulent in football than outside.

Authors Paul Tomkins, Graeme Riley and Gary Fulcher argued in a book called Pay As You Play that after allowing for inflation there is a relationship between a club’s transfer spending and results. There is an even stronger relationship, in my view, between wages and results.

Transfer fees can be misleading, and not only because the reported ones can be hearsay or worse. Fees will vary according to how long players have left on their contract with their old club.

Manchester United got Zlatan Ibrahimovic for no fee. They could have got Alexis Sanchez without a fee, or any player exchange – another complicating factor – if both had been willing to wait until June.

Top players who move without a fee, however, can negotiate even higher wages than they would have got otherwise.

What matters with fees or wages is not how much a club spend as such, but how much they spend in relation to others. And this varies remarkably little, for wages at least. Clubs seem to know every year how much more their rivals are paying.

Take just one example. West Bromwich’s payroll in their last three sets of published accounts rose from £66m to £70m then £74m. It rose every season in absolute terms.

But in relation to the payrolls of other Premier League clubs it changed hardly at all. Each season it represented between 3.3 and 3.4 per cent of the Premier League total.


Today's top sports betting stories

Follow us on Twitter @racingpostsport

Like us on Facebook RacingPostSport

There is no obvious reason to think there is much difference in ability between the teams
Bookmaker
Price
E.W. Terms
Sporting
BetVictor
Sky bet
Boylesport
RaceBets