Trainer prepared to go to High Court if found guilty at rehearing
Jim Best says he will do whatever it takes to clear his name if he is found guilty of ordering jockey Paul John to stop two of his horses in Monday's keenly anticipated verdict in his non-trier inquiry.
The Lewes trainer and his legal team will reassemble at BHA headquarters in High Holborn, London to hear the disciplinary panel's findings in the next phase of the lengthy and controversial case.
The panel will announce its verdict almost a year to the day that John produced the first of two contentious rides on Best-trained runners, on which the BHA based its case against Best.
The trainer has denied all charges and said on Sunday: "If I get the wrong result tomorrow I will never give up and I will do whatever I need to do. I will go to the High Court."
The panel, chaired by ex-Court of Appeal judge Sir William Gage and also including former amateur jump jockey William Norris QC and Nicholas Wachman, a former senior steward of the Turf Club in Ireland, retired to consider a verdict on November 25 following a five-day rehearing.
The original guilty verdict against Best and four-year disqualification imposed had to be quashed after it emerged the BHA was a client of Matthew Lohn, the solicitor who chaired the first panel.
An appeal board ordered a second hearing because of a perception of bias and the insufficiency of the reasons given to support the verdict by the Lohn-chaired panel.
Best denies three charges, of instructing John to intentionally ensure Echo Brava and Missile Man did not run on their merits in races at Plumpton on December 14 and Towcester on December 17 last year, and of conduct prejudicial to the integrity, proper conduct or good reputation of horseracing.
If found guilty the trainer will have seven days to appeal from the time the panel releases written reasons for the findings, which are expected to be issued on Monday.
If Best is acquitted the BHA would likewise also have an opportunity to appeal.