The quiz: how much do you know about the summer game?
All this week we've been debating which code is best – Flat or jumps? If you're in the former camp, test your knowledge of the code with out Flat quiz . . .
1. Who won the first running of the Derby?
2. How many times was Sir Gordon Richards champion jockey?
3. Why was the Royal Ascot of 1910 known as "Black Ascot"?
A. A thick smog had settled over Ascot, reducing visibility to just 50 metres
B. It was held five weeks after the death of King Edward VII and everyone was in mourning
C. Black Arrow ensured back-to-back victories at the meeting for jockey Jack Robinson and William Hall-Walker
D. The track was at risk of being closed and racegoers feared it could be the last royal meeting
4. Why did Triple Dip earn notoriety in 2015?
A. He set a record for most races in a year
B. He unseated his jockey yards from the line when well in front
C. He was beaten at odds of 1-20
D. He was owned in partnership by David Cameron and Rupert Murdoch
5. Who was the last winner of the US Triple Crown before 2015 hero American Pharoah?
6. What was the combined winning distance racked up by the Sea The Stars in his eight wins?
A. 10¼ lengths
B. 12¾ lengths
C. 15 lengths
D. 17½ lengths
7. Which of these fantastic fillies won the most Group/Grade 1s?
A. Ouija Board
D. Snow Fairy
8. Where was the famous sire Northern Dancer born?
A. Ontario, Canada
B. Maryland, US
C. Kentucky, US
D. British Columbia, Canada
9. In which year did Oh So Sharp earn Sir Henry Cecil the first of his eight wins in the Oaks?
10. Before Aidan O'Brien landed three in a row between 2012 and 2014, who was the last trainer to land back-to-back runnings of the Derby?
A. John Gosden
B. Vincent O'Brien
C. Sir Michael Stoute
D. John Oxx
BONUS DUAL-PURPOSE QUESTION
Which horse won the Triumph Hurdle and the Cesarewitch in 2006?
A. Landing Light
B. Contact Dancer
C. Sergeant Cecil
D. Detroit City
Scroll down for the answers . . .
1 b) Diomed
2 c) 26
3 b) It was held five weeks after the death of King Edward VII and everyone was in mourning
4 c) He was beaten at odds of 1-20
5 a) Affirmed
6 b) 12¾ lengths
7 b) Goldikova
8 a) Ontario, Canada
9 d) 1985
10 c) Sir Michael Stoute
d) Detroit City