2021 St James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot: the runners, the odds, the verdict
Day one of Royal Ascot is full of Group 1 action, and the St James's Palace Stakes (4.20) offers the chance for the top three-year-old milers to do battle. Recent winners include Palace Pier, Barney Roy and Kingman, while the great Frankel won the race in 2011.
Smart last year; unsuited by the Newmarket track in the 2,000 Guineas; remains of interest
Improving; ran well behind Mostahdaf and Highland Avenue at Sandown; needs much more
Has form figures of 11115 on good/firmer, most recently fifth in the 2,000 Guineas
4 Highland Avenue
Solid record; close second to Mostahdaf (who received 3lb) at Sandown; in the mix
Craven runner-up; held by Poetic Flare and Lucky Vega on Irish 2,000 Guineas running
Close third in the 2,000 Guineas; the Irish version panned out less favourably; big player
Couple of good efforts over 1m2f this term; tougher task back down in distance
Trainer:Sir Michael Stoute
Fast-improving colt who is 3-3; won the Listed Heron Stakes last time; strong credentials
Trainer:John and Thady Gosden
Made all in a couple of three-year-old handicaps in April; latest the Esher Cup; this is harder
Capable of useful form but sole win remains at maiden level; headgear enlisted
Narrowly won the 2,000 Guineas; went close in the Irish version; leading player
11-2 when he finished last in the 2,000 Guineas; abundant two-year-old promise is still in the mind
Trainer: Joseph O'Brien
Pair of Guineas duck eggs (Newmarket and the Curragh) this season; tongue-tie now fitted
An open St James's Palace Stakes. Narrow preference is for Lucky Vega, with Battleground second choice ahead of Mostahdaf.
The best bookmaker offers for Royal Ascot
- Sky Bethave an exclusive offer for new customers, which givesyou five free bets to use. This is only available during Royal Ascot. You can also take advantage of their daily money back offer, extra places and ITV7 game. Sign uphere.
- Claim some free bets for Royal Ascot fromBetfair. New customers can sign uphere.
- Paddy Powerhave free bets for new customers, money back offers, free bet drops and much more. Sign up to an accounthere.
- New customers can get a free bet for every race at Royal Ascot on that day from888. Find out morehere.
- To get a free bet for Royal Ascot fromLadbrokessign up to a new accounthere.
- Coralhave an offer for new customers during Royal Ascot. Sign uphereto claim it.
- View all the promotions thatbet365have for Royal Ascothere, including a special offer for new customers.
- NewWilliam Hillcustomer can claim free bets as well as benefit from their money back offershere.
- Tote are the home of pools betting and have an offer for new customers. Sign uphere.
ITV Racing free bets
New customers can get £50 in free bets. First single & e/w bet only. Odds of 1/1 or greater. 5 x £10 bet token. Available until 16.40, 19/06. Free bet stakes not included in returns. Free bets for horseracing only. Free bets are non-withdrawable. No free bet expiry. Eligibility restrictions and further T&Cs apply. 18+, begambleaware.org
Read more on Royal Ascot 2021: