Navan gets the green light but waterlogging claims Limerick and Naas cards
Navan's card on Saturday will go ahead as planned after the course passed an inspection on Friday afternoon. The going is heavy and no stalls will be in use for the 1m5f handicap (5.35). Following a spell of bad weather, it will be the first turf meeting to take place in Ireland since the Irish Grand National card at Fairyhouse on Easter Monday.
However, Limerick's meeting on Saturday and Naas's Sunday card were cancelled after 8am inspections.
Limerick is partially waterlogged after 10mm of rain overnight, with further rain forecast, while that formula of a wet night and more to come meant Naas was deemed unfit for racing.
Tom Ryan, manager of Naas – which was due to host the Alleged and Gladness Stakes on Sunday – said on Thursday the meeting would be saved even if the course failed to pass inspection with Friday, April 13 earmarked as a replacement date.
He said: "We're conscious of the calibre of horse we're dealing with here, not that we’d do anything different as we’d never put any type of horse in danger, but this is an excellent meeting and we want to do right by everybody.
"There’s a substantial amount of rain due and if we’re having any doubts we're prepared to make a definite, timely decision. It's due to clear up after Monday, and we’d be confident we’d be in good shape after a few good days of weather."
Fresh entries will close at midday on Monday with declarations to be made by 10am on Thursday. The Gladness and Alleged Stakes will revert to the entry stage and fresh forfeits and supplementary entries for both races must be made by noon on Monday.
Read The Briefing from 8.30am daily on racingpost.com with all the day's latest going, weather, market moves and non-runner news