How did you fare in John Randall's Christmas quiz?
1. Why did Arkle carry a higher saddlecloth number than Mill House in the 1964 Cheltenham Gold Cup?
C His owner's name came later alphabetically
2. Who set a motorcycle world speed record, and suffered fatal injuries in a race-riding fall at Cheltenham?
B Owen Baldwin (world record 1928, killed 1942)
3. Which champion amateur rider was a half-brother to Tara Browne, who “blew his mind out in a car” in the Beatles song A Day In The Life?
A Gay Kindersley
4. Which Classic-winning breeder had a father who was awarded the George Cross?
A 21st Earl of Suffolk (Ginevra, 1972 Oaks)
5. Which celebrity owned an Irish Classic winner, and was a keen painter and bricklayer?
B Sir Winston Churchill (Dark Issue, 1955 Irish 1,000 Guineas)
6. Which jockey rode for part of one Derby with a toilet roll flapping from his helmet?
D Yves Saint-Martin (Accomplice 1979)
7. Sadler's Wells won which of these races?
C Kerry National (1949)
8. Humphrey Wyndham, owner of the first Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Red Splash, was a brother-in-law of which film star?
C Madeleine Carroll
9. Which horse holds the British record for winning the most races at one course?
D Potoooooooo (28 wins at Newmarket 1776-83)
10. Which of these was a dual winner for Peter Walwyn?
A Marijuana (1967)
11. Which of these was a colt who won the Acomb Stakes at York?
D Cocaine (1980)
12. Which of these was a Pattern winner for Ryan Moore?
B McCartney (2007 Champagne Stakes)
13. Who is the multiple champion jockey in the main picture?
B Ioritz Mendizabal
14. What last happened in Britain at Newmarket in October 1945?
D A winner had no name (the colt was later named Chanter)
15. Jack Kennedy, 18, has ridden the winners of more than 150 races over jumps; how many had Sir Anthony McCoy ridden at that age?
16. Apart from Frankie Dettori, who has won more Flat races in Britain than any other current jockey?
D Joe Fanning
17. Which of the Queen's horses beat Ballymoss?
C Doutelle (1958 Ormonde Stakes)
18. Which of the Queen's horses won a US Grade 3 race?
B Fictitious (2000 De La Rose Handicap)
19. The current Prince of Wales rode in how many races under rules?
20. “Royal blue, white sash with light blue stripes, royal blue & light blue striped sleeves, light blue cap, white tassel” were the colours carried by which great filly?
A Noblesse (1963 Oaks)
21. Which great champion was owned by Tom Ferguson?
22. Maidstone was the first horse to beat which great champion?
C Stockwell (1851 Prendergast Stakes)
23. The dam of which great champion had been a prize in a 1 raffle?
D Rheingold (out of Athene)
24. Which great champion won the first 19 steeplechases in which he completed the course?
A Moscow Flyer
25. Who is this 2,000 Guineas winner below?
C Cockney Rebel (2007)
26. Sea Pigeon was a superb dual-purpose horse, but how many Group races did he win on the Flat?
27. Red Rum came fourth in which race at the Cheltenham Festival?
A Mildmay of Flete Chase (1971)
28. Which notorious adventuress had affairs with racehorse owners Jock Whitney, Prince Aly Khan and Stavros Niarchos?
C Pamela Churchill Harriman (daughter-in-law of Sir Winston Churchill)
29. Which filly was a narrow runner-up in the 1,000 Guineas, Oaks and St Leger?
D Ribbon (1943)
30. Which filly, trained by Barry Hills, was runner-up ten consecutive times?
B Song In The Air (1973-74)
31. In which film noir is a murder committed in the back yard of a betting shop?
B Get Carter (1971)
32. Which name is next in this sequence? Trelawny, Mountain Cross, Stanerra . . .
B Choisir (horses who won twice at one Royal Ascot meeting)
33. Name the only Group 1 race in Britain open to two-year-old geldings.
D Nunthorpe Stakes
34. Which of these races has never been won by a mare?
C Queen Mother Champion Chase
35. Which horse currently holds the electrically timed world record for 5f?
D Stone Of Folca (53.69sec in 2012)
36. In which conspiracy would King Charles II have been assassinated en route from Newmarket races to London?
C Rye House Plot (1683)
37. Name the owner below, who had a winner at the Cheltenham Festival in 2017.
A Susannah Ricci (Let's Dance)
38. Pulcher won the inaugural running of which race?
A Troytown Chase (1937)
39. On which racecourse are the Brendan McNulty and David Heneghan Memorial races run?
40. A Sporting Life front page, tipping Utrillo, is depicted in which 1965 film?
B You Must Be Joking!
41. On which horse has Ryan Moore scored the richest win of his career?
D Real Steel (2016 Dubai Turf, 2,448,980)
42. Name the only trainer to win the Gold Cups at Cheltenham and Ascot during his career.
A Vincent O'Brien (4 at Cheltenham, 1 at Ascot)
43. Which of these races did Alec Head not win as a trainer?
A July Cup
44. Which horse won an Eclipse Award even though he never raced in the USA?
C Singspiel (champion turf male 1996 after winning in Canada)
45. The Lost Jockey, a 1926 collage, is by which surrealist artist?
C Rene Magritte
46. A 100-1 shot was the only Group winner for which jockey?
D Tyrone Williams (Hotbee, 1985 Molecomb Stakes)
47. Which big-race winner in 2017 was named after a great trainer?
B Atty Persse (King George V Handicap)
48. Name the trainer who said in 2017: “The thing I'm proudest of in life is being convicted of illegal hare coursing.”
A Sir Mark Prescott
49. Which amateur rider and film actor appeared in The Rainbow Jacket, The Pink Panther and Thunderball?
B Edward Underdown
50. In which Dick Francis novel is the hero an expert darts player?
C For Kicks
Congratulations to Roger Hoy, who was the first correct entry chosen at random. He wins a year’s Racing Post Ultimate Membership, a pair of Cheltenham Festival tickets and £100 worth of Racing Post Shop vouchers. Runner-up is Roy Gill (£50 of Racing Post Shop vouchers) and third is Stephen Harvey (£25 of Racing Post Shop vouchers).
Members can read the latest exclusive interviews, news analysis and comment available from 6pm daily on racingpost.com