Menu
Next Race Newspaper
Free Bets
My Account
Tracker

Sunday, 18 November, 2018

Gosden duo close in on top honours after week to remember at York

Roaring Lion: Juddmonte victory puts him in the running for a Cartier award
1 of 1

The dazzling form of John Gosden's top-level performers on the Knavesmire last week is reflected in the latest standings for the Cartier Racing Awards. 

Roaring Lion has moved into a clear lead in the race to be crowned champion three-year-old after his stylish defeat of Poet's Word in the Juddmonte International on the opening day at York. 

Qatar Racing's son of Kitten's Joy is also now a serious contender for overall Cartier Horse of the Year, with only his defeated opponent from York, and three-time Group 1 winning miler Alpha Centauri, ahead of him. 

Stablemate Stradivarius looks unopposable in the champion stayer category having wrapped up the £1 million bonus offered by Weatherbys Hamilton with victory in the Lonsdale Cup. 

At the other end of the distance spectrum there is still everything to play for with a packing field in the champion sprinter standings.

Battaash failed to break a tie at the top of the table with the now-retired Merchant Navy when finishing only fourth in the Nunthorpe Stakes, while runner-up Mabs Cross entered the picture for the first time. 

Points awarded in eight categories across the season contribute 30 per cent of the weighting in Cartier's electoral college, with the other 70 per cent being split equally between a panel of experts and a public vote conducted among readers of the Racing Post and the Daily Telegraph, as well as viewers of ITV Racing.

The 28th annual ceremony to present the Cartier Racing Awards will take place at London's Dorchester Hotel on Tuesday, November 13.


Cartier Horse Of The Year

Alpha Centauri 144
Poet's Word 140
Roaring Lion 126
Stradivarius 112
Cracksman 88
Laurens 88

Cartier Sprinter

Battaash 48
Merchant Navy 48
Blue Point 46
Sands Of Mali 40
Eqtidaar 36
Mabs Cross 36

Cartier Stayer

Stradivarius 112
Vazirabad 55
Torcedor 36
Marmelo 32
Flag Of Honour 24


Read exclusive previews daily from 6pm at racingpost.com/news 


 

There is still everything to play for with a packing field in the champion sprinter standings
Bookmaker
Price
E.W. Terms
Sporting
BetVictor
Sky bet
Boylesport
RaceBets