Menu
Next Race Newspaper
Free Bets
My Account
Tracker

Tuesday, 20 November, 2018

Dry and breezy forecast offers hope for Fontwell meeting on Monday

Fontwell: set for further inspection at 8am on Sunday ahead of Monday's meeting
1 of 1

A dry outlook for the weekend in West Sussex offers hope for Fontwell’s meeting on Monday, which is subject to a further inspection at 8am on Sunday.

Clerk of the course Tracey O’Meara decided another inspection was necessary on Saturday morning with standing water in places.

It is expected to be cold, breezy and most importantly dry, with O’Meara therefore hopeful racing will get the go-ahead.

“It’s meant to be dry and breezy today and we’re hoping that will take care of the standing water on the track," O’Meara said.

“There isn’t a whole load of standing water and the wind will be drying it out all the time – it’s mainly just near the Fibresand bend and in small spots around the course.

“The forecast suggests it will be dry and cold over the next few days, and if it’s correct, we’d be hopeful of racing.”

Officials at Newcastle were forced to cancel Sunday’s jumps meeting due to waterlogged areas of the track.

An inspection was set to take place on raceday morning but was brought forward following a further 8mm of rain on Friday night – over an inch of rain has fallen at the dual-purpose course since January 1.


Read The Briefing from 8.30am daily on racingpost.com with all the day's latest going, weather, market moves and non-runner news


 

The forecast suggests it will be dry and cold over the next few days, and if it’s correct, we’d be hopeful of racing

Key data

Fontwell
Bookmaker
Price
E.W. Terms
Sporting
BetVictor
Sky bet
Boylesport
RaceBets