Ballet Concerto suffers fatal heart attack after working in Newmarket
Ballet Concerto, who won two Group 3 races during a progressive 2017 campaign, has died after suffering a suspected heart attack following work on Saturday morning.
The four-year-old, who had won York's John Smith's Cup, the Sovereign Stakes at Salisbury and the 32Red Mile at Haydock in his last three starts, collapsed after a piece of work in the Limekilns in Newmarket.
Bruce Raymond, racing manager to owner Saeed Suhail, said connections had high hopes for the son of Dansili in the coming year after such a pleasing season.
"We haven't had an autopsy yet but I believe he has had a heart attack," said Raymond.
"I watched him work behind Poet's Word and the two horses pulled up and went out of sight. I drove away quite pleased with the work and then Sir Michael called me to tell me he had collapsed and died.
"He was a lovely, improving horse who had everything in front of him. I don't know which race Sir Michael had in mind but we were looking at Group 2 targets for him."
Richard Kingscote took the ride on Ballet Concerto for the first time at Haydock and felt the gelding had the potential to go on to bigger and better things.
"It's always hard to say what a horse might have gone on to do but he had been really progressive this year and was doing nothing wrong," said the jockey.
"It's always a great shame to lose any horse. He gave me a very nice day and I feel for the people who look after him and all the staff at the yard, because they feel it most."
A 300,000gns purchase from Book One of the Tattersalls October Yearling Sales in 2014, Ballet Concerto had reached a career-high mark of 118, having recorded six wins in 14 career starts for £242,505 in prize-money.