The Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap Hurdle takes place at 5.30 on the final day of the Cheltenham Festival. The race will be broadcast on Racing TV [RTV].
The event was established in 2009 and is named in honour of Martin Pipe, a 15-time champion trainer who retired in 2006 with 34 victories at the festival.
Length of race – The race is run over 2m41/2f.
Where to watch – RTV.
When to watch – Friday, March 15 at 5.30pm.
Prize money – Last year’s race was worth £70,000.
Course – The race is run on the New course at Cheltenham.
Race type – The Martin Pipe is a hurdle race for conditional jockeys open to horses rated 0-145 and aged four years or older.
Weights – The race conditions of the Martin Pipe were altered by the BHA to remove all rider weight-claiming allowances in an attempt to encourage connections to use more experienced jockeys.
Ages – The race is open to horses four-years-old and up. Most horses are typically over five-years-old.
Sponsor – N/A
Past 10 winners:
|2018||Blow By Blow||32161||7||11-1||Gordon Elliott||Donagh Meyler|
|2017||Champagne Classic||23213||6||12-1||Gordon Elliott||J J Slevin|
|2016||Ibis Du Rheu||64-235||5||14-1||Paul Nicholls||Jack Sherwood|
|2015||Kilultagh Vic||6-5123||6||7-1||Willie Mullins||L P Dempsey|
|2014||Don Poli||2-211||5||12-1||Willie Mullins||M P Fogarty|
|2013||Salubrious||1-4251||6||16-1||Paul Nicholls||Harry Derham|
|2012||Attaglance||135P1||6||20-1||Malcolm Jefferson||Harry Haynes|
|2011||Sir Des Champs||1-1||5||9-2F||Willie Mullins||Emmet Mullins|
|2010||Pause And Clause||0-445U||6||14-1||Emma Lavelle||Johnny Farrelly|
|2009||Andytown||3-4134||6||25-1||Nicky Henderson||Felix De Giles|
- Officially rated 133-144, 10/10
- Aged five or six, 9/10
- Top-three finish in at least one of last two starts, 9/10
- No more than eight hurdle runs, 9/10
- Rated within 6lb of RPR top-rated, 8/10
- Had won that season, 8/10
- Willie Mullins (three) and Gordon Elliott (two) account for the five Irish-trained winners, four of whom were owned by Gigginstown
- Seven of the ten winners carried between 11st 1lb and 11st 5lb
- No jockey has won the Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle more than once. The leading trainer in the race is Willie Mullins – he won the handicap with Sir Des Champs (2011), Don Poli (2014) and Kilultagh Vic (2015).
Irish runners have a good record in this race. The last four Irish winners were all novices and all contested a Graded race earlier in the season. The last two winners, Blow By Blow and Champagne Classic, contested the Grade 3 Michael Purcell Memorial Novice Hurdle at Thurles in February.
What happened last year?
Blow By Blow was ridden out to beat Discorama by five lengths for trainer Gordon Elliott. View the 2018 Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle race result and replay here.
Where can I get Cheltenham Festival tickets?
Cheltenham Festival tickets can be purchased from the official festival website here.