Siblings to Enable and Kingman among Juddmonte juveniles given names
Portrush one of the two-year-olds we could be talking about this year
If their prestigious pedigrees are anything to go by, we could be praising Portrush and marvelling at Meridiana in the coming seasons as Juddmonte have registered names for some of their best-bred juveniles with Weatherbys this week.
Portrush is a Frankel three-parts sister to Khalid Abdullah's dual Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe heroine Enable, whose pursuit of a third victory in the Paris showpiece promises to light up the 2019 Flat season.
That pair's three-year-old half-sister by Dansili, Entitle, could make a name for herself this year as well, having won a Lingfield novice stakes on her second start for John Gosden last month.
Portrush the filly shares her name with a County Antrim seaside town that is home to the Royal Portrush Golf Club, venue of The Open Championship in 2019.
Meridiana, meanwhile, is a Galileo daughter of Abdullah's brilliant middle-distance filly Midday, and her appellation cleaves to Juddmonte's convention of giving family members names starting with M and related loosely to time.
She is a sister to Sandown Classic Trial winner Midterm and a three-parts sister to the dual winners Midi and Mori. Midday herself is out of Midsummer.
The Siyouni half-sister to Midday has been appointed the name of Sun Tide.
The Dubawi half-brother to top miler and exciting second-season sire Kingman has been named along military lines as he is called Sunray Major, while the Kingman half-brother to Derby and Arc victor Workforce shall henceforth be known as Emissary.
Taking inspiration from the sire Oasis Dream and dam Arabesque, the sister to increasingly important stallion Showcasing has been named Arabian Dream, while an optical theme is repeated for the Dark Angel three-parts brother to Breeders' Cup Mile winner Expert Eye, who is now Eyewitness.
Among the other newly named two-year-olds to note are:
- Brinjal, a Kingman half-sister to the high-class performers Father Time, Passage Of Time and Timepiece
- Depeche, a Dansili sister to four-time US Grade 1 winner Proviso and half-sister to Prince of Wales's Stakes hero Byword
- Epigram, a Dansili filly out of four-time US Grade 1 winner Ventura
- Heath, a Frankel colt out of dual US Grade 1 winner Heat Haze, making him a brother to Group 3 scorer Mirage Dancer
- Natchez Trace, an Invincible Spirit colt out of Criterium de Saint-Cloud winner Passage Of Time, making him a half-brother to the high-class Time Test
- Oslo, a Gleneagles colt out of Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf heroine Intercontinental
- Peace Charter, a War Front filly out of four-time US Grade 1 winner Emollient
- Siliqua, a Dubawi filly out of three-length Matron Stakes winner Emulous
- Summit Reach, a Dansili three-parts brother to Australian Group 1 winner Harlem
- Tacitly, a Dubawi filly out of Falmouth Stakes winner Timepiece
- Woodstock Park, a Frankel colt out of dual US Grade 1 scorer Tates Creek
If you believe that owners choose particularly auspicious names for horses who have shown something special even so early in their lives, another Juddmonte juvenile to keep an eye on could be the monumentally monikered Tsar, a Kingman colt out of the Listed-winning King's Best mare Kilo Alpha.
If you enjoyed reading this, you might also like...