Sandown: decision about staging Saturday's card could go down to wirePICTURE: Getty Images
Wincanton moves inspection to Friday
SATURDAY’S fixture at Wincanton, due to form part of Channel 4’s coverage, is subject to an 8.30am inspection as widespread heavy rain continues to threatened race meetings.
Cork, who also race on Saturday, passed its Thursday inspection but similarly to Wincanton officials will monitor conditions as more wet weather is forecast.
Wincanton was scheduled to inspect its course at 11am on Thursday, but the decision to look again on Friday was made much earlier.
Clerk of the course Barry Johnson said: “I’m very hopeful of us racing [on Saturday] as after all the rain we’ve had we’re raceable today. If we were racing today I’d have had to take out three fences and one hurdle but that seems to be the norm at the moment.
“The reason we’re looking again tomorrow is because another band of rain bringing 7-8mm is forecast for tonight. We wouldn’t be able to take much more.”
Cork got the all clear following a 9am check, but the Turf Club’s Cliff Noone warned: “Due to an adverse weather forecast over the coming days, the situation will continue to be monitored.”
The going at both tracks is heavy, while at Sandown, who host the Tolworth Hurdle card on the same day, it is heavy, soft in places on the chase course and heavy on the hurdle course.
Sandown clerk of the course Andrew Cooper (@ACooperClerk) tweeted: "Dry Thurs @Sandownpark but rain due tonight, showers Fri and possible rain Sat. Unlikely to be able to confirm racing ON much before Sat."