News stories which have appeared on the website are available free of charge but stories which have appeared in the newspaper are only available when you join Members' Club. *NOTE: The archive runs from January 1, 2006 to present

Sir Peter O'Sullevan: underwent a series of tests after a stroke on Tuesday

Sir Peter O'Sullevan: admitted to hospital following a mild stroke

  PICTURE: Dan Abraham  

O'Sullevan to remain in hospital after nose-bleed

SIR Peter O'Sullevan's hopes of being discharged from London's Charing Cross Hospital on Thursday afternoon were dashed at the last minute due to a nose-bleed.

The 95-year-old 'Voice of Racing', who earlier received an encouraging report from his doctor after being admitted at the weekend following a mild stroke, was waiting to be collected and driven home by his close friend, Ladbrokes public relations director, Mike Dillon, when told have to stay at least another night.

Speaking from the hospital, Dillon said: "Sir Peter is on Warfarin because of the stroke so the doctors were quite surprised when he had the nose-bleed. He was all dressed, packed up and ready to go home. The doctors have only just finishing examining him and they want to keep him under examination until eight o'clock in the morning, but I'm sure it's nothing serious."

Meanwhile Andy Turnell was itching to get back in the saddle on Thursday as he returned to his Wiltshire stable after suffering a stroke on February 9.

The Broad Hinton trainer, who saddled Maori Venture to win the 1987 Grand National, was described as being in "really good form" by his wife Gilly before she left to pick him up from Swindon's Great Western Hospital where the two visitors per bed rule had to be dispensed with his stay.

While the day-to-day operations at the yard have been overseen by head groom John Brophy and secretary Anne Reason, Turnell, 64, has remained actively involved in the decision-making.

Mrs Turnell said: "Andy is really well and doing fantastically. He will obviously be pleased to be back home, but he has literally been doing the job from his hospital bed and all he could say was 'When can I get back on a horse?'.

"John and Anne have been brilliant in keeping the place going, and we would also like to thank everyone who have so generously sent gifts, letters, cards and emails of support. The number number of visitors Andy had in hospital was amazing. The doctors, who have also been great, could not believe Andy's age, they thought he must be ten or fifteen years younger than he is."

News Archive