News stories which have appeared on the website are available free of charge but stories which have appeared in the newspaper are only available when you join Members' Club. *NOTE: The archive runs from January 1, 2006 to present

Ryan Mania

yan Mania with his trophy after Auroras Encore's National success

  PICTURE: John Grossick (  

Mania taken to hospital after Hexham fall

RYAN MANIA, who captured the biggest prize in jump racing on Saturday when partnering Auroras Encore to victory in the John Smith's Grand National, was taken to hospital less than 24 hours later on Sunday after suffering a fall at Hexham.

Mania, 23, was riding Stagecoach Jasper for Auroras Encore's trainer Sue Smith when the seven-year-old tumbled in the 2m4½f handicap hurdle.

An air ambulance arrived at the course to take the jockey, who was conscious after the fall, to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle, causing racing to be delayed.

After leaving the hospital on Sunday night, Mania's agent Bruce Jeffery said: "They are keeping Ryan in overnight and he'll be having an MRI scan in the morning, but the doctors are very hopeful that everything is okay.

"There don't seem to be any broken bones, but we will know for sure in the morning. Ryan is a bit sore, but he's in very good spirits."

Mania, who quit the saddle from August to November in 2011, was reported to have been kicked between his shoulder blades.

"He can move all his limbs and he's talking away. Hopefully he's not too bad but as usual they are being very careful," said valet Steve Charlton.

Trainer Tina Jackson, who was standing near the hurdle where Stagecoach Jasper fell, said: "The horse seemed to jump it okay but then stumbled and fell and looked to give him a nasty kick."

One of the first on the scene was photographer Ann Grossick, who said: "He was on the ground and I told him to lie still and the doctor would soon be here. He said 'yeah, yeah' and within seconds the doctor arrived."

A spokesman for the Great North Air Ambulance told the BBC: "Mr Mania has received neck and back injuries. He came off the horse at high speed and may have been hit by another horse while he was on the ground."

News Archive