SEARCH FOR HEADLINE

FROM DATE*

Calendar

TO DATE

Calendar

 

News stories which have appeared on the website are available free of charge but stories which have appeared in the newspaper are only available when you join Members' Club. *NOTE: The archive runs from January 1, 2006 to present

Thurles

Thurles: need temperatures to start rising if racing is to be on

  PICTURE: Caroline Norris  

Prospects grim for Thurles on Thursday

THURSDAY'S Thurles meeting is the next scheduled Irish fixture but ground temperatures need to improve dramatically if racing is to be on, according to course manager Pierce Molony.

 

Speaking on Saturday afternoon, he said: “Last night temperatures dipped to -16C on our ground thermometer gauge. It was only 1C at 1.00pm today, so I wouldn’t be holding my breath unless temperatures rise quickly and it’s getting worse if anything.”

 

Thurles also have a rearranged card pencilled in for next Friday and Molony added: “We haven’t had snow of any great significance compared to other parts of the country but we would need temperatures to start rising to five or six degrees for a couple of days to give us a realistic chance of racing this Thursday, and temperatures would want to start rising by Monday.”

 

It is a similar story at Naas with the track unraceable at present. They are hoping to race next Saturday but the course is covered in snow with more forecast on Sunday.

 

Find out what the prospects are for forthcoming fixtures in Britain and Ireland with our at-a-glance table

 
News Archive

Search