Nicky Henderson: trainer walked the Newbury course on TuesdayPICTURE: Edward Whitaker (racingpost.com/photos)
Bobs Worth back on target for Hennessy bid
BOBS WORTH, whose participation in Saturday's Hennessy Gold Cup was temporarily put on hold on Tuesday over concern about the ground at Newbury, was back on target to run after Nicky Henderson checked out conditions for himself.
The trainer continues to have doubts about how the big-race ante-post favourite will handle going that remains soft, heavy in places on his first start of the campaign, but concluded that last season's RSA Chase winner would "probably run" after walking the track.
Earlier in the day Henderson had told a media gathering there was "an element of doubt" over the participation of Bobs Worth, who had done everything asked of him in a work session at Seven Barrows on Tuesday morning
However, following the trainer's visit to Newbury it is Roberto Goldback who is the more likely absentee as a result of the ground.
Henderson said: "It's soft ground with some heavy patches but taking it with the balance of the last two weekends at Cheltenham and Ascot I'd say it's not as tough as those. It's quite difficult to read. Some patches will ride very soft and others won't be too bad.
"I have spoken to Malcolm Kimmins, who heads up the owners' syndicate and the gut feeling is we probably will run, all things being equal. I put out a warning this morning because I wanted there to be one. I'm not comfortable about it, I'm not convinced he goes in it and Barry [Geraghty] is not sure but we are a bit short on alternatives.
"Roberto Goldback is almost certain to run in the two-and-a-half-mile race on Friday. I think he wants good ground, not a slog in a bog. It's going to be very testing."