Dascombe delays Marine Boy Mill Reef decision
TOM DASCOMBE will be hoping Marine Boy can put his poor display last time behind him if he takes his chance in the Dubai Duty Free Mill Reef Stakes at Newbury on Saturday.
The juvenile has always been held in high regard by his trainer and justified favouritism when scooting to a seven-length success on his debut.
He was sentoff a warm order to oblige in the Gimcrack Stakes on his latest outing and although he trailed in a disappointing seventh, Dascombe believes there are viable excuses for that below-par effort.
"Marine Boy seems fine but we will make sure he's 100 per cent before deciding whether he runs at the weekend," said Dascombe.
"It is no coincidence we have only had about three runners since he ran as the horses have just not been right.
"We will have to see how he is during the rest of the week before we make a firm decision."
There are currently 15 possibles for Saturday's race with Karl Burke double-handed with Lord Shanakill and Sign Of Approval.
Mark Johnston also has two chances with Effort and Weatherstaff, while other interesting possibles include Finjaan, Gallagher and Masamah.