SEARCH FOR HEADLINE

FROM DATE*

Calendar

TO DATE

Calendar

 

News stories which have appeared on the website are available free of charge but stories which have appeared in the newspaper are only available when you join Members' Club. *NOTE: The archive runs from January 1, 2006 to present

Toronado beats Dawn Approach Goodwood 31.7.13

Toronado (right) beating Dawn Approach at Goodwood

  PICTURE: Edward Whitaker (racingpost.com/photos)  

Breathing operation planned for Toronado

TORONADO looks set to have a breathing operation after his disappointing last of six in Wednesday's Group 1 Juddmonte Stakes at York.

The top-class miler was found to have been coughing after the race and connections revealed on Thursday that they are now looking at the option of operating on the brilliant winner of the Sussex Stakes.

Assistant trainer Richard Hannon junior said: "What happened was very similar to the Guineas. We were happy with him coming into the race but he wasn't breathing right in the race and he just cut out and emptied.

"He displaced his soft palate, just as he did at Newmarket, so we will probably have it cauterised. It only takes two weeks to have that put right so he'll come back in the autumn and go back to a mile at Ascot or in America."

Toronado has won five of his eight starts but never looked a factor on his first start beyond a mile.

Connections of Al Kazeem believe quick ground at York was the main reason behind the favourite's defeat in the International Stakes.

"I thought that the fast ground was 90 per cent responsible for his below par effort and the remaining 10 per cent was perhaps due to him being too fresh after his break," said trainer Roger Charlton.

"We have always known that he appreciates some ease in the ground and it has only been his guts and determination that has seen him battle his way to his last three Group 1 victories.

"Unfortunately he was never happy on the ground and he kept a bit in reserve and he probably ran three or four lengths below his best form.

"Whenever or wherever he runs again it will not be on fast ground and his future races will be discussed with his owner and breeder in due course."

 
News Archive

Search